Gear selector arm doesn't go left, any hints?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
fondbrun
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 2

Gear selector arm doesn't go left, any hints?

Post by fondbrun »

Spent a good while looking for just something anything that goes, to drive while my mk3 has been in the shop for tree-related reasons. But heart ruling head I spent my money on a mk2 that won't go into gear. Little boy in me couldn't resist a rev3 turbo and a targa top.

Anyhow, with engine off
  • wiggling the cables is fine, gear shift travels front-back and side-side
  • wiggling the 2 arms that connect the cables into the box is less fine
  • wiggle the front-back arm and the gear shift travels ok
  • wiggle the side-side arm and the gear shift goes from detente to right, but won't go left

So I don't think it's the cables and I don't think it's the sugar cube (although I've not taken the cube out for a look - seen some far less than cubic ones while I've been trawling the internet for hints). I'm starting to dread the idea of looking for a replacement e153 box and then cancelling any fun for the next 3 years, to pay for it.

I am hoping that someone recognises the symptoms or has a better theoretical idea than I do, so I can start crying/saving or ideally rejoicing and fixing it up.

Return to “MK2”