Alarm problems

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Robbo87

Alarm problems

Post by Robbo87 »

I was washing the car the other week, dried it off and tried to use the unlock button on the key to open the car, but it refused to work.

Since then, it seems to be (sometimes) when the car is wet or its been raining, i can't always seem to unlock the car, so im effectively locked out....and late to work!!

I've done the obvious and changed the battery, but its not that. Im thinking it could either be the battery connections in the key not always touching, but im thinking its more likely to do with the car and the receiver.

Where is the alarm receiver in the mk3?
Im thinking that because it happens when it is wet then maybe its some electric wiring becoming damp.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Topic author
FGRob

Re: Alarm problems

Post by FGRob »

The main alarm module is in the frunk under the spare wheel, unless it's been moved of course, which a few of us have done to make sure you can hear it better.

You might want to check the fuse holders in the passenger foot well, you can getting leaking throught the roof area which can get into the fuse area and cause this type of problem, also check the floor for dampness.

Rob.

Topic author
Robbo87

Post by Robbo87 »

The key does work yes, just the alarm sometimes, though its been ok this last week or so.

The alarm will be under the spare as the sounder is dead quiet. Moving it is quite a good idea actually. Ill take a look at that. As for the leaking roof, i'v not evidenced that much on the drivers side yet but i will check that one too.

Topic author
frankyboob

Post by frankyboob »

hi i have the same problem you have except my remote locking doesnt respond at all. i have found a small red box marked "computer body" under dash by accelerator pedal, which has a few relays in it and this controls the windows and central locking. does the central locking switch inside the car work when the remote doesnt? hopefully you have found the remote reciever control box, if you have can you let me know where it is as i cannot locate even after removing most of the interior. i reacon our problems are caused by the same fault so if i find out any more i will let you know. and if you can help me in would be gratefully recieved. cheers

Topic author
Robbo87

Post by Robbo87 »

Well up to now the remote central locking has been working fine. I think it was just been a bit tempremental. The central locking did work inside yes, but that was after i had finally got into the car when the remote CL was working!

I still dont know where the receiver is. how long have you been having problems with your RCL?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”