another day, another problem

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
sykesMr2

another day, another problem

Post by sykesMr2 »

so got told today that my car smells bad when i boot it. ive never notice it before but my friends in the car behind me said they could really smell it i think it might be down to an over fueling issue as the car back fires and exhaust pops alot on the car i have

new iridium tipped plugs 2,000 miles ago
dual cone induction kit with resonator
stainless steel sports manifold
decat
twin exit sports exhaust with the back box being less than half the size of the original one

also i think the filter may be too big for the car as you can here it when she is ticking over and on low rpm's

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: another day, another problem

Post by peteV6R5 »

I have followed various 2s in convoy on meets / highland drive and most recently the Cotswold drive and I can tell you that 2's do stink when you boot them, tubbys more so on boost but NA's do as well.

I can remember when CATS 1st came in the smell of rotten eggs was terrible on the roads. Modern engines have virtually eliminated this by running at lot leaner than 14:1

moral is dont get stuck behind a tubby 1st and a NA 2nd if you are in convoy
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Yup. What Pete said.
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

If your going to run without a cat then thats the price you pay fella, i decated mine last year and noticed a hell of difference in the smell yet my engne healthy, lol now ive got used to it and dont smell it at all, on the the odd occassion i do its a good smell lol, when people smell my car they always comment on the smell lol panzies

Topic author
sykesMr2

Post by sykesMr2 »

GMLive wrote:now ive got used to it and dont smell it at all
same here i dont even notice it it was only when he told me did i oh really er cheers lol but im one of these guys that when gets told something it eats away at him untill he gets good news or bad news lol

but cheers guys for helping me out

might have to get a sticker on the back window now saying "eat my stank" just to annoy him :laughing

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”