Arrrrrrrrrrrr!! Hate my car!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Arrrrrrrrrrrr!! Hate my car!

Post by chaos19810 »

I'm starting to get some concerns about my car and they seem to be getting worse (that could be my imagination)

I did my conversion to a rev 3 tubby hoping jt would make me love a car I already thought was great and enjoyed but at the moment when the option comes up I'd rather drive my other halfs aygo :confused1: and I can feel my love seeping away and my eye wondering to other cars.

My issue is that when the car is cold and you put you foot down it hesitates and some times pops in the exhaust, so I've changed the leads, dizzy, rota, plugs and coil. Well this made it run better once it had warmed up and other 3000rpm. But this didn't solve the put you foot down when cold hesitation. To add to this the ride below 3000rpm the car seems to shudders. It did have a lambda code pop up so changed the sensor, still a fault code and no improvement checked the wiring came back fine? The speedo hasn't been wired up yet from the conversion not sure if that would cause it?

So now I'm at a loss, normally I have an idea what's wrong even if I can fix myself but right now I'm at a complete loss and with payday many many days away its seems I'll find and fix the fault myself. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know? I'm at a complete loss to what it might be :crybaby:

Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

seanred

Re: Arrrrrrrrrrrr!! Hate my car!

Post by seanred »

I know it would be a bit of hassle but do you want to try my loom on your car, I think everything will reach ok with the standard set up. We now my car ran ok before being stripped so at least you would know if its your loom.

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

That might be worth a try, I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow, I did one when I got the engine and it was all fine plus this has only started to happen since the conversion? I think it's either a compatibility issue or a wiring fault
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

seanred

Post by seanred »

did you have to make any alterations to the loom or was it a straight swap over, just another thought we changed the fuel pump over it might not be working correctly.

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Is the engine and mods exactly the same as when it was in the donor car and running ok. Have you for instance added a boost controller and fuel cut defender, etc.? I read on mr2.com about someone who had code 21 because of an fcd issue. I don't know much about these things as mine is standard boost.

seanred

Post by seanred »

could the intercooler & pipework be a problem, it is a bit of a bodge and only put together with basic jubilee clips and I wouldn't have thought you are getting much of a cooling effect.

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

stuMR2eye wrote:Is the engine and mods exactly the same as when it was in the donor car and running ok. Have you for instance added a boost controller and fuel cut defender, etc.? I read on mr2.com about someone who had code 21 because of an fcd issue. I don't know much about these things as mine is standard boost.
stu
I don't have a fcd but will put the standard boost control on tomorrow and see that makes any difference

[[/b]sean[/b]
We made no alterations to the loom just a straight swap, I was thinking about the sure pump, so I might see what happens if I bridge the connectors and run it on 12v, well the intercooler a solved :th: thanks to you!
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

seanred

Post by seanred »

all being well I'm finishing work at 3 tomorrow, if you want to come round we can change the intercooler and all the pipes & clips then at least we can tick another thing off the list and we can check the timing at the same time if you haven't done it yet.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

TBH, it still sounds like a lambda problem and the ECU is confirming this for you. If you're confident the lambda and the lambda's wiring are OK, I'd be tempted to try another ECU (even just temporarily swapped in from another car), just to rule it out of the equation. I would offer mine, but I don't have an SW20 ECU fitted on mine :no:

You could chase other theories all over the car, but while the ECU is telling you there's a lambda problem and it sounds a heck of a lot like a fuelling problem in closed loop mode, I would get that sorted before spending much time on anything else.

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Just sounds a bit strange that the engine, lambda, & ECU were all working perfectly in the donor car just before the swap. Could something have blown with the rewiring?

Assuming everything was swapped over like for like without mods being made along the way of course.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Its not going to be the stock IC, there is nothing wrong with them.

Sounds like a fueling problem, there is unburnt fuel getting out to cause a POP. What do the plugs look like ? the air flow metering could be a problem. If it was wiring you would have problems all over the rpm range.

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

shinny wrote:TBH, it still sounds like a lambda problem and the ECU is confirming this for you. If you're confident the lambda and the lambda's wiring are OK, I'd be tempted to try another ECU (even just temporarily swapped in from another car), just to rule it out of the equation. I would offer mine, but I don't have an SW20 ECU fitted on mine :no:

You could chase other theories all over the car, but while the ECU is telling you there's a lambda problem and it sounds a heck of a lot like a fuelling problem in closed loop mode, I would get that sorted before spending much time on anything else.
I've swapped the ecu and it still registered the same fault, I'm going to meet up with stu on Sunday and see if he can help? I think it might be a fuelling issue too but following the bgb checks it comes back as normal on the lambda?
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

MR2DI4 wrote:Its not going to be the stock IC, there is nothing wrong with them.

Sounds like a fueling problem, there is unburnt fuel getting out to cause a POP. What do the plugs look like ? the air flow metering could be a problem. If it was wiring you would have problems all over the rpm range.
I think Sean after seeing how the intercooler is attached might be causing boost leaks?
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Hopefully we can compare like for like with the wiring, both being Rev5's with Rev3 Tubby conversions. At least get your speedo working! Got a feeling the 2 wires that had been modified on mine related to the speedo signal & fuel pump. We'll check on Sunday though.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”