Big red brake seal kits

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
des0808

Big red brake seal kits

Post by des0808 »

Went to fit a rear brake seal kit on my mk1 today( down loaded the sticky from jimi ) top man.
got to the bit to fit the piston dust cover,
Very loose in the caliper housing, very tight over the piston.
hummm does not look right when looking at the pic's off jimi.
jimi say's ring that hold's the seal to caliper should be hidin inside seal, not on mine, if you wind piston out, pulls clip out.
Dont like this now :no:
Took seal back off, have i put it in wrong :oops:
looked at new seal and old seal :eeek:
old seal is bigger (bugger) and the round clip is bigger :sad:
last day off work to moz :no: will hav to go to mr t to get one now :-o:
any one else had this prob from BIG RED seal kits :oops:

Topic author
b2hbm

Big red brake seal kits

Post by b2hbm »

I used Big Red kits on both my Mk1 & the latest Mk2 for front & rear calipers. The Mk1 was about 18 months ago, the Mk2 the end of last year but both were fine & fitted with no problems.

It's not unusual for the old rubber seals to be slightly bigger than the new ones because they absorb fluid & swell, but if the other external parts are wrong then it sounds like they've packed the wrong bits.

You could always give 'em a ring & put the old parts back for a few days, they were pretty quick delivery with my kits ?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”