Clocks

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Pav677

Clocks

Post by Pav677 »

Will the RPM counter out of a set of clocks from a rev 3 N/A UK fit/work in the the cluster of a rev 2 turbo?

Thanks all.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Clocks

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Pav677 wrote:Will the RPM counter out of a set of clocks from a rev 3 N/A UK fit/work in the the cluster of a rev 2 turbo?

Thanks all.
It will definitely fit ;)

Looking for some aftermarket gauges? as I have a rare set ;)

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

I'll look at swapping them tomorrow now then.

Funny you should ask, I just been looking at eBay at fascias and dial cause I may as well do that while I've got the clocks in bits...

Do you have a picture and how much you're wanting for them?

Thanks mucka

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Pav677 wrote:I'll look at swapping them tomorrow now then.

Funny you should ask, I just been looking at eBay at fascias and dial cause I may as well do that while I've got the clocks in bits...

Do you have a picture and how much you're wanting for them?

Thanks mucka
Spend < £10 on a couple of LEDs and some lighting gel, and you can do this:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/58/154790.html?p=1625339

Aftermarket dial faces have really patchy lighting unless you get el-glow, which gets expensive unless you like the funfair look of the cheap 'plasma' style EL gauges.

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

That looks good!

How many LED's will I need? Did you have to remove the actual dials to fit the gel?

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

RPM gauge swapped and working fine now, thanks.

shinny

Post by shinny »

Pav677 wrote:That looks good!

How many LED's will I need? Did you have to remove the actual dials to fit the gel?
4 white LED bulbs (the flat type with lots of SMD LEDs on - the boxy ones or any with a lens don't spread the light as evening and often fail to illuminate the needles)

It's easiest to unscrew each gauge from teh cluster. However it is highly advisable NOT to remove needles or dial faces... just slip the gel underneath :th:

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

Thanks Mark, now I've had the clocks out and seen its not a difficult or time consuming job I don't mind getting them out again...

The gel is cheap enough. What type are the bulbs, T5, T10? I realise I could be asking irrelevant questions here. :blush:

shinny

Post by shinny »

Pav677 wrote:The gel is cheap enough. What type are the bulbs, T5, T10? I realise I could be asking irrelevant questions here. :blush:
All this info is on the thread I linked you to ;)

They're 501 / W5W / T10 bulbs.

I used these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321155639414
Others have used these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310487675841
Or these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221236832175

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

My speedo has 120mph on them and the speedo out of my UK N/A has 160mph... Would the 160 speedo work in turbo or would it still work as though they are still 120 giving wrong readings? :blink:

I really tried to make sense here by they way :blush:
All this info is on the thread I linked you to ;)

They're 501 / W5W / T10 bulbs.

I used these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321155639414
Others have used these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310487675841
Or these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221236832175
Thanks again

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

Would it not work the same using coloured bulbs instead of using the lighting gel or is that something you tried and it didn't really work?

shinny

Post by shinny »

Pav677 wrote:My speedo has 120mph on them and the speedo out of my UK N/A has 160mph... Would the 160 speedo work in turbo or would it still work as though they are still 120 giving wrong readings? :blink:
OK, with a 120 mph dial face fitted your import is showing mph on the speedo, reading kilometers on the odometer and is not derestricted (unless done at the ECU). It is a straight swap to fit a UK speedo (4 screws), at which point you car will show mph on the speedo, read miles on the odometer and still not be derestricted (again, unless already done at the ECU). It is a pretty good way of converting the speedo, actually so if you prefer the 160 look then go for it :th:

shinny

Post by shinny »

Pav677 wrote:Would it not work the same using coloured bulbs instead of using the lighting gel or is that something you tried and it didn't really work?
About the only colour that possibly works like that with is red. Pretty much any other colour (blue, green etc.) utterly fails to illuminate the orange needles and a school kid should be able to explain why ;)

Also, the position of the LEDs is very important, and you can see the common theme in the design of those I posted. I'm yet to see a coloured LED bulb with that kind of flat design, and fitting other types tends to give lots of dull spots and positions where certain needles aren't visible. (I am speaking from a reasonable amount of experience in mucking about with the SW20's cluster illumination)

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

I have no idea if its de-restricted, I'm not sure I will ever exceed the restriction anyway to be honest.. so if I change it, it will read true on the 160 clocks? Think I'll swap the speedo over too then when I do the LED's.

Again, many thanks :th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”