Excessive Oil usage after recent precat failure

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MRS - 2000

Excessive Oil usage after recent precat failure

Post by MRS - 2000 »

Hi All,

In december my precats failed and were promptly removed,I also replaced the CAT as it had been smashed to bits.

I have now done about 1,000 miles in my MRS (2000) and the oil light has come on, I have filled it with 4 litres of 10/40 and after driving another 300 miles its pretty much all gone?

I have read other discussions re the rings, my mechanic had also advised that he thinks the rings are screwed and that the car's a write off, can I just keep putting oil in or is it really dead?

Im gutted, spent everything on bloody car, would a new engine cost lots?

Thanks in anticipation, Matt

Topic author
m0jo

Re: Excessive Oil usage after recent precat failure

Post by m0jo »

What oil are you using? honestly dude i also own a mk3 for me its this simple

Oil 5l = cheapest say £16
£300 miles fuel = Circa £43

Thats just up'd your cost of running 37%!!! spruce it up and part chop it in at a garage.

Topic author
m0jo

Post by m0jo »

PS where are you based mate? and maybe someone can help you out ref a recommended garage and engine supplier

Topic author
FGRob

Post by FGRob »

I think from what has been described, the engine is knackered. You start with worn rings which destroys the pre-cats which then gets sucked back into the engine which will eventually wipe out the bottom end as the pre-cats are ceramic.

You can pick up a second hand later model engine for anything up to a £1000 depending on mileage, then it needs fitting.

You can try a thicker oil but I think you are just putting off the big bang.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Rob.

Topic author
MRS - 2000

Post by MRS - 2000 »

Hi Guys,

Basingstoke, hampshire and from other posts made today about Toyota Basingstoke I wont be taking it there :D

Someone suggested putting in thicker oil, say 15/40. I just have no knowledge of cars at all. Gutted, love my little MR2, smt gearbox, great.

Just had new CAT, discs+pads and full service and MOT in december, gutted, hey ho.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Matt

Topic author
m0jo

Post by m0jo »

you could try 3S mate, engine block will be cheaper than a new car thats for sure.

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Wabbitkilla »

Also if I may add, if you've left it till the oil lamp comes on there's not been enough oil in the engine to generate oil pressure. This more often than not kills the bottom end bearings, and in the worst case damages the crank too.

It has been known that a re-hone of the cylinders, new pistons (of the post 03 design) and rings with big end bearings can save an engine. But you only find out if that's possible by pulling the head off and checking. It shouldn't write the car off and god knows it's hard to find a reliable SMT gearbox so you have that much going for you. ;)
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

Topic author
branty

Post by branty »

+1 3s/TGT if your in basingstoke, there in bramley. they'll be able to sort you out.

Topic author
MRS - 2000

Post by MRS - 2000 »

Tried googling 3S/TGT, do you have their full trading name?

Many thanks again.

Topic author
drreamsurfer

Post by drreamsurfer »

Hi

I'm currently getting an exchange engine put in my 03 MR2 after running it on low oil. Someone advised ensuring the pre-cats are changed - can this be clarified? What are pre cats and the signifigance??? Thanks, just going to make sure this is done as part of the swap over!

Linsey

Topic author
FGRob

Post by FGRob »

The pre-cats are in the exhaust manifold and were fitted for the US market for cold start up so the car met their regulations - not need here in the UK.

Ask your garage to take them out before they re-fit the manifold, not a big job as they will have good access due to the engine being out.

The alternative is to put an aftermarket manifold on, you can pick one up from ebay for about £130 or so, or you could have a more up-market manifold made by Zero or H & S, this will give you better performance as well - not a large amount but enough to notice.

Rob

Have a look at this thread towards the end, it's shows you an aftermarket manifold and where it fits http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/171/129685.html

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Matt

If your precats self-destructed and you're now using 4litres of oil in 300 miles, you're almost certainly looking at a bottom end rebuild I'm afraid.
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11393
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

Tony VC had this problem i put him in touch with my garage x Toyota mechanic and sourced a recon engine for him,car runs sweet as a nut now, plus he had the pre cat removed.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”