hub carrier bearing

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
sykesMr2

hub carrier bearing

Post by sykesMr2 »

How would you know if the carrier bearing is gone I'm getting a thud thud thud once per rotation of wheel cant really hear it untill 30mph+
ive got no play in the wheel or the poly bushes and all bolts on the engine mounts are there and tight

one other thing is when the drive shaft seals were replaced at the start of this month we couldnt gwt rhe shaft out of the passenger side and had to drop the whole hub instead

gazza1286
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: hub carrier bearing

Post by gazza1286 »

When my rear wheel bearing went, the noise was a continuous rumbling. It's caused by the ball-bearings in the race developing flat spots. A thud once per revolution could be a tyre issue. A grating on each revolution is normally a brake/disc issue.

Does the noise change on cornering?

To remove the hub-carrier from the driveshaft you may need a hub puller or a large three legged bearing puller.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... b%20puller

This one worked for me (had it lying around for ages) - it gently pushed the driveshaft through the hub-carrier. The grease on the splines had degenerated into a sticky mess due to the heat and age.

Topic author
sykesMr2

Post by sykesMr2 »

After having a good listen to night I can say it doesnt change when cornering and its more a whoosh noise

gazza1286
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gazza1286 »

These noises are difficult to pinpoint. After a couple of weeks of first hearing it I still wasn't certain which side tthe noise was coming from. I had to get someone to stand on the kerbside and drive past them several times for them to confirm that the offside was the problem. This may eliminate or narrow down the issue.

Topic author
sykesMr2

Post by sykesMr2 »

Found out that the front right and rear right wheel bearing have gone :(

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”