Mr2 supercharge engine!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
togie30440

Mr2 supercharge engine!

Post by togie30440 »

Hey there,
Im looking into buying another mk1 but i wanted the supercharge version and have been offered one in an awesome dark metalic red. The problem is the mileage is 105k!I know some people are thinking "whats up with that".But i wanted to replace the engine with another supercharged engine with lower mileage to make the car that little bit more desirable and worth that little more in time to come.But where would i get a supercharge engine from as i know these are as rare as rocking horse s**t lol.
Any help would be great!!
Thanks
ash

Topic author
Shadeh

Re: Mr2 supercharge engine!

Post by Shadeh »

I would do 120k on it then rebuild it mate, will be cheaper and more easy to do sicne u have one

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

ive heard fensport can source them, never looked myself but worth a try.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

105K is nothing to a 4A-GE or 4A-GZE, mine is around 107K, hasn't been rebuilt and still runs as sweet as a nut, it's all in the servicing.
I know of 4A-GE engines that done around 200K and still haven't been rebuilt.
The cars are 20 years old (minimum) and the problem with getting another SC engine is that all the MK1 SC engines are imports, hence being rare. Personally I wouldn't worry about the mileage, the condition of the body work is much more important to the resale value ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

millentubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by millentubby »

I'd rather have a car with the original engine TBH. 105k is nothing to the engine as Jimi says.

As long as it's been serviced and looked after properly there's nothing to worry about.

Topic author
togie30440

Post by togie30440 »

Cheers for the replies!

Sounds like ill keep the engine in then. How much do super chargers sell for? I know its the model with power steering, air con etc.But i think all superchargers come with those extras??

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

It doesn't have power steering :no: it was never an option on the MK1. Aircon is fairly common on SC's but they didn't all have it.
Price is down to condition and whether it's a coupe, sunroof or T-bar and what the buyers are prepared to pay at the time, anywhere from 1K upwards, probably average around 2-3K.
IMHO the crucial factor is the condition of it, rust is the killer with SC's just as much as it is with NA's.

Topic author
togie30440

Post by togie30440 »

yeah this SC has a t bar and rust free,i know the garage that does work on it and he had the wings replaced with new ones and fully sprayed to match. He keeps telling me it has power steering?? He thinks it does? Not sure why he thinks it does?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

If it does have power steering then snap it up, it's unique, the only MK1 in the world with power steering ;)

Topic author
sneddo

Post by sneddo »

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

That's for 4A-GE engines, doesn't mention a price for a 4A-GZE engine

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

jimi wrote:105K is nothing to a 4A-GE or 4A-GZE, mine is around 107K, hasn't been rebuilt and still runs as sweet as a nut, it's all in the servicing.
I know of 4A-GE engines that done around 200K and still haven't been rebuilt.
The cars are 20 years old (minimum) and the problem with getting another SC engine is that all the MK1 SC engines are imports, hence being rare. Personally I wouldn't worry about the mileage, the condition of the body work is much more important to the resale value ;)
+1 mines on 137k and the engine is still running beutifully, bodywork is tat mind :sad:

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Just a note on the SC engine, if you get one from Fensport it will most likely be a 4AGZE from the Corolla AE101 or similar as the Mk1 4AGZE's are hard to come across as people have said. Getting a 4AGZE from the corolla wouldn't be a bad thing though as they are more powerful & would def have lower mileage as the cars are newer. Think you can get just the engine itself from Fensport for about £600 which isn't bad. Spend another £100-200 & you can get the pulley upgrade & if using the AE101 4AGZE can get about 180+bhp with other bolt on mods :th:

But yeah I'm sure the 4AGZE can go on for miles, I believe the engine itself is stronger internally than the 4AGE, mine has done over 161,000 mls now & still goes well. :th:

Good luck with it. :)

Topic author
togie30440

Post by togie30440 »

Thanks for all your replies!!I think ill get it and leave the engine for a while!!It doesnt need to be done, i was just beingkinda picky and wanted the car pristine! My last mk1 went on forever and absolutley kills my mg tf engine.Actually i think anything does :D

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”