Mystery Rattle when in Gear

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
jettryda

Mystery Rattle when in Gear

Post by jettryda »

Hey all, i have tried searching for this specific issue but came up with nothing.

I have a 1991 MR2 T bar that has developed an odd rattling noise. At first it sounded like a valve issue or lack of oil but I have just changed the oil and know its good. I'm pretty certain its not the engine too as so far I have managed to pin it to the following:
Only does it in gear
Only does it between 2-3500 RPM
Only does it if I keep the revs constant, accelerating through the range is OK
Sounds to be coming from either driver side or centre console area

My local garage has had a look but found nothing as it doesn't do it when standing still.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar before if they know of any heat shields that may be causing this because its horrifically noisy when it does it and very annoying.
Other things that may be of interest is that 2nd gear likes to crunch sometimes and it ran itself dry of clutch fluid 6 months ago

Any help would be awesome cheers!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”