rear screen heating element?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
thommo41

rear screen heating element?

Post by thommo41 »

Hi,

Since December's crazy weather, I put my hard top back on. I must admit, I can't vouch for the rear de-mister/heating element on the soft top, but anyway, with the snow, my rear screen de-mister button lights up but the snow must be heat resistant, as it doesn't shift at all. I suspect the wiring loom is at fault, but can anyone offer any advice, troubleshooting tips etc?

Cheers,
Alan

Topic author
kentsmudger

Re: rear screen heating element?

Post by kentsmudger »

Are you sure you have re-connected the hard-top de-mister cable to the car correctly? It should have a separate fly-lead from the hard-top to the car, connected low down behind the plastics in the cubbies on the driver's side.

Hard-top fitting instruction here

Topic author
thommo41

Post by thommo41 »

Yeah, the cable in the cubby hole/luggage compartment, behind a peice of trim, I disconnected the terminal block then threaded that up to the socket on the hardtop.
How can I test that actual cable?

Cheers
Alan

Topic author
kentsmudger

Post by kentsmudger »

That cable is only a foot long, so unplug from the car and from the hard-top and buzz it out with a multimeter. If the lead is OK, re-check where you have connected the fly-lead against the diagram - It has been known for people to end up with the hard-top and soft-top connected to each other!

The socket on the car should have voltage on it when switched on. If the soft-top heater works, the car loom must be fine so you won't need to check the voltage. The hard-top heater shouldn't fail unless damaged, but that is the final possibility

Topic author
thommo41

Post by thommo41 »

Thanks will check it out again tomorrow

Topic author
thommo41

Post by thommo41 »

Well that took a bit longer than I said it would!
Checked and re-checked yesterday, It must be the correct end of the cable, as it's the only one in that area that is just long enough, and it's still tight. The other 'tail' in that area is never going to stretch so must be the connector block for the soft top.

I have access to a tester but have no idea how to use it :) What would I do, just still one of the prongs on the connector and switch it on? Maybe I should get a proper man on the job haha!

Alan

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”