Roof problem (with pics)

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
viio

Roof problem (with pics)

Post by viio »

I've discovered why the roof on my mk3 won't make a good seal over the drivers door:

There's some sort of cable running along the edge which should pull tight. The cable has rusted and snapped:

and then the fabric of the roof has torn taking the strain instead of the cable:

Now, I can see the cable inside the lining but its about 2inches too deep. Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone recommend a fix?

Topic author
noiseboy

Re: Roof problem (with pics)

Post by noiseboy »

you could try crimping the cable back together, or find a scraped mk3 and take that cable? the other option is to look out for a hardtop to replace the whole roof, that way at least you won't have to worry about the problem anymore

Topic author
viio

Post by viio »

I don't want to lose the "convertible" part of my convertible though. I wonder if I could use some steel braided wire and just crimp a loop on to keep it tight.

Topic author
noiseboy

Post by noiseboy »

could be worth a try, you canr make it any worse than it already is.... mabe :confused1:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”