Smashy Smashy! Accident door damage, what to do?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dazmatic

Smashy Smashy! Accident door damage, what to do?

Post by dazmatic »

I had the privilege the other day to have my MK2 to be smashed into by a 2010 Merc. Whilst Parked up.
That's right! The car was parked up, no one in it and they managed to smash into the passenger door on a straight road.

Simply put, they were picking someone up on the opposite side of the road, they were parked behind another car. They reversed back to pull out into the road between the cars and basically put their foot on the wrong pedal launching their Merc into the side of my pride and joy.

Now, insurance companies are aware and I'm waiting to hear back from theirs. He's admitted fault but the chances are because of the value of the car and the damage they'll want to scrap it. They aint taking it away.. So, I'm going to fight tooth and nail to keep it and get it repaired.

Looking at the damage, the door skin looks like it's taken the brunt of the force. I tried to open the door today and it opened about 6 inches BUT at least I know the central locking, the locking mechanism and handle works plus the key lock also which is good to know.

The glass isn't smashed either which is also nice and the mirror is fine too. As I've said, the door skin took the brunt. Looking from the inside, the door card looks fine also and I would think the switches are also.

The only thing that I can think that would be seriously wrong is the window sliding mechanism and perhaps the speaker/window electrics.

What advise would you fellow MR2'ers be able to provide me with regarding getting this fixed?
I.e. Getting replacement parts, expected costs, insurance mafia etc...

Cheers in advance!

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Smashy Smashy! Accident door damage, what to do?

Post by peteV6R5 »

how old - what REV is your P&J?

replacement door from one being scrapped is probably the easiest alternative,
may need to get it resprayed

REv1 & 2 do not have side impact bars so if yours is REV3/4 or 5 then you probably need one from these otherwise your ins could be in jep if something happens in the future.

but gets some pics up so peeps can see the damage and comment
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by chris »

£50 for a new door from a breaker, then £80-100 to paint (unless you find a door in the same colour as your car)... and around 30 minutes to change them over

Topic author
dazmatic

Post by dazmatic »

Well, there is on ebay at the minute a door, same colour, for £60 but it is literally just the skin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291002215550? ... 1438.l2649

It's a 93 import, Auto. Revision 2.

It's kind of nice to know about the side impact bars I suppose.

Is there much chance there will be damage to the chassis underneath? MOT Fail able that is? It does look that the damage is isolated mainly to the door skin.
Attachments
DSCF2397small.jpg

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by peteV6R5 »

dazmatic wrote:Well, there is on ebay at the minute a door, same colour, for £60 but it is literally just the skin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291002215550? ... 1438.l2649

It's a 93 import, Auto. Revision 2.

It's kind of nice to know about the side impact bars I suppose.

Is there much chance there will be damage to the chassis underneath? MOT Fail able that is? It does look that the damage is isolated mainly to the door skin.
that looks door skin only - not touched the sill so 1 door change and should be good as (well 20year old car) new.

if it was going to get hit - that looks a perfect as possible without hitting anything else :D
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Jesus, has "hit an MR2" season just opened that I'm unaware of! :confused1:

Make sure your door hinges are OK, they could have taken a bit of a battering.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Torero
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by Torero »

I'm with the others on this Daz, it is as simple as a door change, especially as you know your electrics are fine. Just a quick tip, you may want to keep your original loom so that there aren't any compatibility issues and this takes around 10-20 minutes to swap over.

Just be careful what the Insurance offer you as you don't want a CAT D write off, it'll affect the resale value but with the cost of this being less than £150 to remedy (second hand) then it may be worth accepting a sensible cash offer from the insurance company to repair it.

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

Torero wrote:Just be careful what the Insurance offer you as you don't want a CAT D write off, it'll affect the resale value
And insurance, for some reason it is more expensive to insure a CAT C or D write off.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

rob

Post by rob »

With regards to side impact bars my '93 Rev2 has a meaty looking tube inside running from front to back of the door.....

Protok

Post by Protok »

rob wrote:With regards to side impact bars my '93 Rev2 has a meaty looking tube inside running from front to back of the door.....
Mine do too :th:
Red "Iron Guts" Protok

rob

Post by rob »

They may just add support for the skin but they are about 50 - 75mm diameter - it would seem like side impact to me.......

Protok

Post by Protok »

rob wrote:They may just add support for the skin but they are about 50 - 75mm diameter - it would seem like side impact to me.......
Well my rev1 didn't have them so I'd say they are side impact bars.
Maybe they were only on late Rev2s, my Rev2 had the indents for the Rev3 lights.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok

rob

Post by rob »

Hmm, mine doesn't have the indents, so isn't a late one...

MGMgrand

Post by MGMgrand »

Rev 3+ had the side impact bars. They have saved me twice when I was T-boned even though both were written off.

Re damage you need to take up the carpets by removing the plastic sill under the door to see if any chassis damage but if a low speed impact should be OK.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”