Strange electrical problem - Engine won't stop!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
Chris1

Strange electrical problem - Engine won't stop!

Post by Chris1 »

Firstly, apologies if this has been done before, I've tried searching and not found anything useful so far!

I recently bought myself a 1990 G-Limited Mk2 MR2, its not perfect, but picked it up as a bit of a project car.
After driving for a week or so I noticed the red engine compartment warning light coming on. The issue soon became clear, the "vent" relay in the rear fuse box was missing!
Ordered a new relay and in the mean time used a small length of cable to bridge the connectors so that the engine compartment fan was on all the time that the ignition was on, just to be safe.

When the new relay arrived, I plugged it in, started the engine and all seemed well, at least until I tried to switch the engine off. Took the key out and the engine kept running. I had to kill the engine by stalling the car. I also noticed that one of the fans at the front of the car was now running (hadn't heard it run before) and kept running for some time after stopping the engine.
I guess this is why the relay had been pulled in the first place.

I've reverted back to my cable bridge for the time being, but would love to know what's going on and hopefully sort this out!

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Strange electrical problem - Engine won't stop!

Post by shinny »

Hmmm - sounds like a short on the relay somewhere. Where did you get the relay from?

For reference: http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... S/eccf.pdf

Topic author
Chris1

Post by Chris1 »

Cheers for the reply.
Just from a breaker on eBay, relay seems fine, all the continuity checks out.
I'm thinking it's something else just because it would explain why the previous owner had pulled the original relay in the first place.

shinny

Post by shinny »

It's hard to figure out how simply bridging the contact is ok but putting a relay in isn't. I do have a hunch though. Looking at the diagram I posted, if pins 2 and 3 (green / white and blue / black wires) were shorted together, it could explain it. Using a multimeter you might be able to test that theory. If I'm right, I wouldn't be surprised if your fan control unit is a little fried too.

Edit: Ignore the above. Checking the power source diagram makes me thing it couldn't work: http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... wrsour.pdf

One other thing to try is to disconnect the fan control unit (behind the boot carpet on the engine bay firewall, just on the passenger side of centre in a plastic case) and leave the relay in, and see what the behaviour is then.

Topic author
Chris1

Post by Chris1 »

Thanks, I'll give that a go and get back to you.
Looking at the diagram, could be a coincidence but the two things causing me issues (ignition and front fan) are both going into terminal 1 of the relay, could be a switch sticking somewhere?

shinny

Post by shinny »

Chris1 wrote:Thanks, I'll give that a go and get back to you.
Looking at the diagram, could be a coincidence but the two things causing me issues (ignition and front fan) are both going into terminal 1 of the relay, could be a switch sticking somewhere?
I think somehow there is a short from pin 3 or 4 to pin 1 - thus, when the ignition is switched off, there is still 12V at pin 1 from the VENT fuse (which is turn is powered because there is 12V on the black/orange wire at pin 1.

An alternative theory would be that that's an internal short between pin 9 and pin 3 on the control unit causing exactly the same effect.

Did the engine bay fan actually spin when the relay was shorted? (You can test this by turning on
IGN, shorting the relay ports and unplugging the temperature sensor on the engine lid)

Topic author
Chris1

Post by Chris1 »

With the control box disconnected, the engine starts and stops fine.
With the relay connectors shorted, the fan runs all the time the ignition switch is on, regardless of whether the temperature sensor is plugged in or not.

Does this point towards a fried control box?

shinny

Post by shinny »

Chris1 wrote:With the control box disconnected, the engine starts and stops fine.
With the relay connectors shorted, the fan runs all the time the ignition switch is on, regardless of whether the temperature sensor is plugged in or not.

Does this point towards a fried control box?
So, with the control box disconnected and the relay plugged in, the car behaves normally? IN which case, yes, I'd suggest you replace the control box. I think I have a spare somewhere - if you want to PM me your address and I'll get it in the post to you when I'm next near a post office :th:

Topic author
Chris1

Post by Chris1 »

That's right, yeah.
That'd be great, thanks very much. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Haven't got the physical wiring diagrams but isn't it possible that the fault is "downstream" of the control box? It could be shorting to another circuit. That's precisely what my old FTO did.

Would it be possible to bridge out the control box just to be sure before you start posting things?
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

shinny

Post by shinny »

_Al_ wrote:Haven't got the physical wiring diagrams but isn't it possible that the fault is "downstream" of the control box? It could be shorting to another circuit. That's precisely what my old FTO did.
Yes, that's altogether possible. Tricky to find though...
_Al_ wrote:Would it be possible to bridge out the control box just to be sure before you start posting things?
Yes, you could... but the part's already in the post and, TBH, swapping the part is a heck of alot easier :blush:

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Good point, well made!
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
Chris1

Post by Chris1 »

Quick update on this.
New control box worked a treat, everything now appears to be working perfectly!

Thanks a lot for the help, and for the new unit.

shinny

Post by shinny »

Chris1 wrote:Quick update on this.
New control box worked a treat, everything now appears to be working perfectly!

Thanks a lot for the help, and for the new unit.
Great stuff, glad the fix was simple in the end :clapping:

Return to “MK2”