Thought I was there .... But I was'nt

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
bounds_w

Thought I was there .... But I was'nt

Post by bounds_w »

Well - the saga continues. Let me tell you about today ! :laughing

Today was MOT day for the MR2 after the engine rebuild and things did not go exactly to plan :no:

Checked oil and water, and started the car - all was good. Locked up the house and headed out to the MOT station. Now I paid for a days insurance so I could get the MOT done ready for the car to be sold, so i was banking on a pass, or a few minor bits at most.

I stopped at BP to put £10 of the good stuff in and pump up the tyres. The car was just up to temp, and whist waiting to get fuel, she was idling really rough, and cut out. Car restarted no problem, and I continued to fuel up.

On the way to the MOT though, the car was really idling rough. I had to left foot break to keep some gas on at lights, so the engine did not die. When driving it still felt a little rough, but as soon as boost came in, it was pulling fine. I immediately thought that I must have a vacuum leak, but I stopped checked an it all looked connected (all new hoses, so they should not be broke).

Got car to MOT station and it would not tick over at all ! left it with them. They then called me about 20 minutes later to say that they cannot get in the car. i told them to hold the immobilizer button to open the door, and it will start as long as its within about 30 seconds of opening the door. So they guy gets off the phone and goes to try again. 20 minutes later, another call - nope, they cannot open the door. :ranting1: so i walk back, and get the car started for them (the fob was playing up, looked like the battery had moved - maybe the keys have been droped :confused1: )

Anyway - now I get told ive missed the MOT slot, and would have to wait as they are packed out, and have no room now. Long story short I ended up walking home so i could get my car to go to work, and left the MR2 with them to MOT.

So. background done !

Any ideas why I would get rough idle, but only when up to temp ? I did see the ECU light flash up a couple of times, so I might have codes, but I dont have the car atm.

vacuum leak ?
over / under fuel due to some sensor fault ?

this is never ending ......

Topic author
littlemisstubby

Re: Thought I was there .... But I was'nt

Post by littlemisstubby »

When you get to the car again check for errors mate.

Have you checked the resistances of the AFM? Especially when it's warm and when it's playing up?

The way it's running may have triggered the knock sensor again (52).

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

Could also be the cold start switch or engine temp sensor thinking the car is cold thus over fueling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

sometimes idle control valve becomes sticky when not used in a while
i had something similar when i had the car off the road for a few months, drove fine, but didnt want to idle and would sometimes stall if pressing clutch in.
worth a look, free to do/clean out (sits under TB)
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
bounds_w

Post by bounds_w »

littlemisstubby wrote:When you get to the car again check for errors mate.

Have you checked the resistances of the AFM? Especially when it's warm and when it's playing up?

The way it's running may have triggered the knock sensor again (52).
This was checked prior to the rebuild and was within spec, but will check again.
dawesy wrote:Could also be the cold start switch or engine temp sensor thinking the car is cold thus over fueling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Is there any way to tell, or is it just buy a new one and see ? Can I plug something into the diag port to see what temps the ECU is seeing from these sensors ?
jimGTS wrote:sometimes idle control valve becomes sticky when not used in a while
i had something similar when i had the car off the road for a few months, drove fine, but didnt want to idle and would sometimes stall if pressing clutch in.
worth a look, free to do/clean out (sits under TB)
I have another TB in the garage so ill strip that one and clean it, then replace when the car comes back. I remember these being a PITA to remove last time I tried.

As always - thanks guys and gals. :notworthy:

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Was following your first thread on this but didn't notice the second.

Is the Throttle Position Sensor setup correctly, working properly and screwed in tight?
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Return to “MK2”