When buying a 3ltr v6 queries

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by oddshoes »

Hi all

I am going to look at a v6 (3z fe) mr2 this weekend and what things engine wise should I look at out of interest? Also as the conversion has already been done by the current owner what should I need to do to be complaint with the registration details in way of the V5c. If its still regisitered as a 2ltr hows the best way to get it all sorted, experinces would help from those that have had to do it

Many thanks

Dave

Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

baileydom

Re: When buying a 3ltr v6 queries

Post by baileydom »

Dave, the v6's are pretty bullet proof to be honest. Usual checks apply that you'd do to any car. If it was a home conversion you want to be asking about which modified engine mount was fitted (the woodsport one is the best from memory). Also its worth knowing what flywheel was fitted and whether the midpipe has been made to fit an NA or tubby backbox. Probably also asking if the current owner has done the AFM mod to get a bit of a power increase and what maintenance was done when the conversion was done I.e. were the head gaskets changed.

In terms of the v5, I notified dvla about mine and they wanted to have a letter from the garage that did the work. If it's a home conversion and hasn't been changed yet then I think its a vosa inspection to say the engine is what you say it is.

Obviously my experience is with the 1mzfe but I did quite a bit of research before I had mine converted. Any queries feel free to give me a call or drop me a pm.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

As Dom said, if the V5 doesn't state its a 3ltr (no tax difference to a 2ltr BTW), then you might need a garage invoice of the conversion on headed paper (depending on which oik at the DVLA is processing your V5 amendment). Send it on a Friday recorded delivery, they may still be asleep Monday morning lol

The 3VZ's have a terrible problem from weeping from the cam cover seals. Get some good loctite sealant on them (especially the corners of the horseshoes) and you will sort it for a fair old time, but it's not a big job and not too much of a pita.

Water pump is the one I would be looking out for. The Camry pump is not efficient enough to cool the car when stood in traffic. There is an uprated pump with a better impellor available now. Ask Paul at Woodsports. I would also be wary of the AFM "tweak" if it has been done...

Apart from that, get a good Y-Pipe on the list of things to do, and get a free flowing air filter on it. You will never tire of it :yahoo:

HM
Last edited by Howlin_Mad on 08/05/15 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Tbh, the 1mz has the same weeping cam covers issue. I'd agree with HM on the AFM mod as well, hence why I suggested asking about it. Oh and whilst on the subject of cooling, check the radiator - due to the potential for heat build up if sat in traffic you need to make sure the rad is in pretty good condition to be able to give you the best cooling possible.

Big grins all round! :D especially with the japspeed I just fitted! :D

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

baileydom wrote:Tbh, the 1mz has the same weeping cam covers issue. I'd agree with HM on the AFM mod as well, hence why I suggested asking about it. Oh and whilst on the subject of cooling, check the radiator - due to the potential for heat build up if sat in traffic you need to make sure the rad is in pretty good condition to be able to give you the best cooling possible.

Big grins all round! :D especially with the japspeed I just fitted! :D
I'd be tempted to fit Rogue fans like I have on mine on the turbo lid, they do help!

And a turbo Japspeed :facepalm:

Get your ears / head / brain tested on a V6.

You'll want a refund for medical injuries from your appointed doctors / nurses in each field :laughing

HM

baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Haha no its an NA japspeed. Might not be on too long though as its a bit loud on a daily, fun on a sunny sunday though. The mongoose will be back at some point.

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

baileydom wrote:Haha no its an NA japspeed. Might not be on too long though as its a bit loud on a daily, fun on a sunny sunday though. The mongoose will be back at some point.
Good lord, that must be even worse!

:shocked:

HM

baileydom

Post by baileydom »

No, don't forget its only 2.5" from the flange into the back boxes. Its the same exhaust that Pete has on his.

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

baileydom wrote:No, don't forget its only 2.5" from the flange into the back boxes. Its the same exhaust that Pete has on his.
Ah, might explain why mine is loud, and I mean loud (2 miles away loud) lol :blush:

HM

Topic author
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

Looking around at it I might need to get an iva test then maybe, fees seem to variy depending on what level I need to go too

rainen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by rainen »

I've just finished off my 1MZ-FE conversion and sent off to the DVLA to have the V5 changed. The letter that came back asked for one of the following:

1. Receipt of purchase on headed paper, from a garage, confirming engine number, engine size and fuel type.
2. an inspection report from a body such as the AA or RAC
3. an inspection report provided for insurance purposes.

Now as it does not affect taxation level whether its a 2.0 or 3.0 i've left mine as is for now. Not got round to asking the RAC how much they would charge (as i'm a member). Maybe get round to doing it later in the year.

Pablo Bighair
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15

Post by Pablo Bighair »

My Dads mr2 had the conversion completed by a twobrutal member, then inspected by Toyota afterwards. Toyota then gave the previous owner a letter stating that the conversion was completed to a proficient standard and this was sent to dvla who changed the log book to a 1mzfe v6. Might be worth asking your local Toyota if they offer an inspection and report service like that?! HTH

Topic author
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

do you know the kind of cost involved

Pablo Bighair
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15

Post by Pablo Bighair »

Sorry David, we don't know what fee was paid. It was inspected during the previous owners tenure. My dad sent off the letter with the log book and he received the new log book with 1mzfe v6 on the log book in return. Just call your local Toyota dealer or trusted local garage to see if they'd inspect it for you. Sorry can't be more help.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”