What is a safe amount of boost to run on my car?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
G3 NYX

What is a safe amount of boost to run on my car?

Post by G3 NYX »

Hey Chaps,

I have fitted and setup a Greddy boost controller and have it at 0.7 lo and 1.0 hi.

I was wondering if anyone could look at my spec and tell me what they think a good maximum boost level would be, I had a search and everyone opinions seems to be different...

I have a 1992 Rev 2 Turbo with:
  • Decat
    Some sort of aftermarket exhaust (powerflow?)
    HKS BOV with recirc pipe
    CT20b
    Greddy intercooler
    Engine has been rebuilt with rev3 headgasket and new piston rings (with new block)
    Greddy bspec II boost controller
    Full set of gauges (boost, oil t, oil p, air/fuel)
    Uprated brakes
I plan to get an uprated radiator next month.

Do you think I can run 1.3 safely? I'm going to the ring on the 29th and don't want to blow up half way round ;)

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Re: What is a safe amount of boost to run on my car?

Post by topgun »

To be safe I would run it at 1.1 bar anything more and you will be asking for trouble,unless you plan to forge the engine at some time.

Topic author
Kotprakhon

Post by Kotprakhon »

Turbo Boost pressure increases - Using the standard turbo with ECU, intake and exhaust upgrades, the upper limits to engine power output are around :

90-94 Turbos : 280bhp with 16psi, 17psi max
94-on Turbos : 300bhp at at 18psi, 19psi max

Personally ive run my rev 2 on 15 psi for 9 years with no issues. Not sure id push it ti the limit of 17... these are 20 year old cars now. Rebuilds and forged engines port mods cams, new turbos... that would be a diff matter.

Topic author
G3 NYX

Post by G3 NYX »

Kotprakhon wrote:Turbo Boost pressure increases - Using the standard turbo with ECU, intake and exhaust upgrades, the upper limits to engine power output are around :

90-94 Turbos : 280bhp with 16psi, 17psi max
94-on Turbos : 300bhp at at 18psi, 19psi max

Personally ive run my rev 2 on 15 psi for 9 years with no issues. Not sure id push it ti the limit of 17... these are 20 year old cars now. Rebuilds and forged engines port mods cams, new turbos... that would be a diff matter.
Thanks I think I'll stick it on 1.1 bar for the trip then (16psi) and experiment after with better coolers and an oil cooler.

Return to “MK2”