na power the easy way

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: na power the easy way

Post by Protok »

_Al_ wrote:I have better things to do with my time than re-state the obvious. Good luck if you decide to build this. I'd be interested in any project thread.
You know I am going to have to agree with Al here.

It is all well and good saying 272 degrees and 11mm lift but standard beams intake are 268deg with 10.8mm so what's the point?
Besides camshafts aren't as simple as peak lift, what about everything else?
Also changing the camshafts costs more than just the camshafts themselves, you need springs, retainers, shims, etc etc.

Anyway my experience comes from:
I've done it, I've been through all this; decided through it all as well and in the end I have something unique but it wasn't cheap and certainly nowhere near easy.

Now I give up, you were right; you are a genius and have managed to figure out what others haven't. I look forward to your project as it is about time someone did what others haven't much like I did.

Good Luck

Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Craig-rev3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Craig-rev3 »

N/A tuning isn't easy or cheap :no:

Even the "cheap" parts put together to build an engine are still more expensive than a turbo conversion.

As much as I loved my N/A, I wouldn't spend £5000 or so on parts to increase its power, instead I spent half that buying an already forged turbo which after a few select parts is ready for an extra 100bhp.
Rev 3 N/A - RIP :(
Rev 2 Turbo - Sold :(
Rev 1 N/A - Road Legal Track Car :D
Rev 1 V6 - Co-owned side project :D

Topic author
scoobykarl

Post by scoobykarl »

This is the same old argument over and over. If you wanna do it good much there are some who will support you just ignore those that don't. At the end if the day it's your money not theirs. Yes it's expensive but if it makes you happy then great!!

To repeat the same thing in many threads - higher lift cams , better breathing system, up rated service parts and a remap with a new ecu (can't map mr2 ones) will put you as close to 200 as you can get without breaking the bank and let's face it , 200 horsepower in a car that weighs nothing Is still special

Topic author
DiYMCRT

Post by DiYMCRT »

Protok wrote:
_Al_ wrote:I have better things to do with my time than re-state the obvious. Good luck if you decide to build this. I'd be interested in any project thread.
You know I am going to have to agree with Al here.

It is all well and good saying 272 degrees and 11mm lift but standard beams intake are 268deg with 10.8mm so what's the point?
Besides camshafts aren't as simple as peak lift, what about everything else?
Also changing the camshafts costs more than just the camshafts themselves, you need springs, retainers, shims, etc etc.

Anyway my experience comes from:
I've done it, I've been through all this; decided through it all as well and in the end I have something unique but it wasn't cheap and certainly nowhere near easy.

Now I give up, you were right; you are a genius and have managed to figure out what others haven't. I look forward to your project as it is about time someone did what others haven't much like I did.

Good Luck
i don't know what the point is trd wrote the spec list ask them i just posted it here as i keep stating.

i also have better things to do than repeatidly try and state my case when all i've done is post a link to a proven 269bhp trd spec list that people keep trying to put down for what ever reason.

i also have better things to do than post up links to toyota vvti definition's but you were so damn ignorant i had to.

comments like you clearly don't know how vvti work from someone with a vvti car who doesn't have the full understanding is very frustrating and insulting.

coincidence that you go quite after i post up the link to the vvti explanation proving i'm not chatting nonsense i think not
Last edited by DiYMCRT on 31/03/13 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
DiYMCRT

Post by DiYMCRT »

scoobykarl wrote:This is the same old argument over and over. If you wanna do it good much there are some who will support you just ignore those that don't. At the end if the day it's your money not theirs. Yes it's expensive but if it makes you happy then great!!

To repeat the same thing in many threads - higher lift cams , better breathing system, up rated service parts and a remap with a new ecu (can't map mr2 ones) will put you as close to 200 as you can get without breaking the bank and let's face it , 200 horsepower in a car that weighs nothing Is still special
too true matey, i just posted the trd spec list for people who do want to do it with their money or even want proof of it being done i can't think of any other n/a spec lists available with map and outputs on them proven, though i'm sure they exist.

to be honest i think all this it's cost loads of money n/a is just the way she goes, n/a is always going to cost more than tubby thats why everyone goes turbo.

Topic author
DiYMCRT

Post by DiYMCRT »

obviously you don't as your posts are just the same thing over and over and the beams is still a 3sge i know the heads different and the rods, pistons etc etc but it's still a 3sge like a cat is a cat regardless of size or colour or a k series it comes in 8 or 16 valve form 2 completely different heads and it also comes in different capacities changing the internals.......... but they're all called k series ;)

stop spamming

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

I generally disregard threads with such ridiculous titles but this one seems to have staying power so hers my 2p's worth.

That's NOT an easy way to get any power, its a parts list.
The blacktop won't fit in an mr2 so its nonsense.
There's no easy way to get more power from the 3sge, its still going to be ludicrously expensive and require a lot of r&d.

As for comparing it to a turbo.... Your mad. There is no comparison to be made as the price differences will be worlds apart.

Now before we start getting bent out of shape I'm not one of the nay-sayers. There is more to the 3sge and would love to come across a proper tuning build on one. Sadly this isn't it.

sent from my foot to your "censored"!
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
scoobykarl

Post by scoobykarl »

Agreed

It's a challenge I like the idea of. I drive v6's, v8's, turbo models if both and supercharged cars all day at work so there is no excitement to have one as a personal driver for me - the challenge is taking a naturally aspirated car and squeezing the life out of it. Yes it's going to cost money but doesn't beefing up a turbo?? It's not about speed it's about achievement

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

@ DiYMCRT: Why are you going out of your way to insult me?
Why do you care if you prove me wrong?

I didn't post about VVTi cause we were both right.
VVTi advances/retards timing according to rpm, load and throttle position; this is done to keep the optimum cam overlap at all times in order to keep torque available at all RPM.
I know how the VVTi works cause I've messed with it more than enough times, all this aside from the fact that I researched the 3SGE for 2years before actually putting a plan into action.

There are hundreds if not thousands of lists on how to tune an N/A.
It is really easy in simple terms; the more air you can get through the engine, the more power that you make. I've even posted one specifically tailored to the Gen2/3 3SGE on here before; done in stages according to what power you were chasing.
Reality is that the moment people realise that it costs £1500 just to get a decent standalone ECU running, they give up! Regardless if they are running N/A or forced induction; most people just don't have that kind of money running for the sake of tuning a car.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by sinjen »

This thread is borderline ridiculous now, DiY, you're arguing for the sake of it lol, Red (aka Protok) really does know his stuff, certainly when it comes to the Beams engine and over the years has always been one of the first to help those who need it.

It will always come down to available cash, and most of the time people would rather achieve a balance between spending their money on a sports car and other things like kids or house deposits etc... That said, tuning the 3sge has been done many times already and hopefully people like yourself will continue this trend.
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

If you want cheap power and a challenge then do what I did, buy a Turbo and then modify it doing all the work yourself including rebuilding the turbo into a hybrid and then squeeze all the power you can out of it at the same time spending next to nothing and stay with the stock ECU.

Gains from the turbo are easy, gains from the NA are not and you have to spend 10 times as much for the same result while having to rev the snot out of it to get the same power and you still cannot match the torque.

Really spending a whole lot of money trying to get more power from an NA is a waste of time unless you plan to race it in some restricted class and are prepared to throw unlimited funds at it to try and come first.

Topic author
scoobykarl

Post by scoobykarl »

It's a waste of time if it doesn't appeal!!! Which is where the argument lies

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

scoobykarl wrote:It's a waste of time if it doesn't appeal!!! Which is where the argument lies
You missed the point, it doesn't get any harder than building your own Turbocharger.

What's a waste of time is paying other people bucket loads of money to do all the work for you. Anyone can throw $20,000 on an MR2 to make it go faster, the thrill is spending $2000 and getting another 25kW and driving a rocket ship !

I guess it's whatever spins your wheels, I have done the 2 stroke racing Kart motors and taken them to the limit so it was time to move on to bigger and better things. NA engines sound good but only over 15,000rpm :clapping:

Topic author
scoobykarl

Post by scoobykarl »

No I agree but it's when we need to let others have their fun as opposed to the whole buy a turbo instead

When people like red come along with the experience and advice then great!! We need more of that.

To be honest this thread inspires me to do it. Have some fun and just see what comes!!

Return to “MK2”