Parasitic drain

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
Gravyboy

Re: Parasitic drain

Post by Gravyboy »

AManInDandism wrote:Is your car N/A or turbo?

What happens if you remove the EFI Main Relay?

You've got a Yellow/Black wire which runs from the EFI Main Relay and supplies bunch of solenoids. Could be the relay, or one of these solenoids.
It's an NA mate,

I'll try removing the relay when I get home this evening and see what happens (if anything) where are the solenoids situated?

Topic author
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

They'll be around or behind the intake manifold.

Topic author
Gravyboy

Post by Gravyboy »

Bit of a delay in replying but, we tried removing the EFI relay and nothing happened.

Topic author
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

Hmm sorry, a bit of a brain fart I think there. If pulling the EFI fuse/relay stops the drain, I'm guessing it's the TVIS solenoid or something like that. I'm clutching at straws at this point to be honest.

Did you disconnect the alarm yet?

Topic author
Gravyboy

Post by Gravyboy »

Yeah I disconnected the alarm but it didn't stop the drain, the reason I thought it was the alarm was because when doing using the meter on the battery and negative terminal to do the test its bridging the two and so arming the alarm.

Topic author
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

When you were checking the fuses, did you pull any relays as well?

How long does the battery take to completely discharge?

What happens if you pull the relay marked C/OPN in the engine bay fuse box?

Topic author
Gravyboy

Post by Gravyboy »

AManInDandism wrote:When you were checking the fuses, did you pull any relays as well?

How long does the battery take to completely discharge?

What happens if you pull the relay marked C/OPN in the engine bay fuse box?
I've tried pulling all the relays, and nothing happens, its only when the EFI fuse in the engine bay is pulled that the reading drops on the meter.

The battery usually takes just over a day to discharge, which is why its such a problem, at present when I park up on a morning to go get the train, I have to disconnect the battery and same when I leave it overnight just in case its drained the next morning.

Since finding the drain I have bought a new battery which I have not left connected as I don't want it to be completely drained.

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

You said earlier that it seemed to be the alt sensing fuse? Have you tried unplugging the alternator and see if that stops it?
Also go over the ecu wiring. If you have fitted the rev3 ecu in a rev 1/2 then it's possible that you have a wrong pin somewhere that could be causing it.

Topic author
Gravyboy

Post by Gravyboy »

dawesy wrote:You said earlier that it seemed to be the alt sensing fuse? Have you tried unplugging the alternator and see if that stops it?
Also go over the ecu wiring. If you have fitted the rev3 ecu in a rev 1/2 then it's possible that you have a wrong pin somewhere that could be causing it.
Hi mate, sadly the Alt sensing fuse was a red herring, it turned out that was simply the alarm getting in the way. once the alarm was unplugged we managed to trace it to the EFI fuse.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to go over the wiring for the ECU again however I haven't been able to find the wiring diagrams that I used before. if anyone knows where I can find them please post links in there :)

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

What revision car have you got and which revision of engine ? As it looks from an earlier post like its had an engine swap I think.

Topic author
Gravyboy

Post by Gravyboy »

its a rev 2 car, with a rev 4 engine and a rev 3 ECU mate

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

Did you do the swap ?
If so what did you change? ie has it still got rev2 body loom and all changes made at fusebox and ecu

Topic author
Gravyboy

Post by Gravyboy »

madbasshunter wrote:Did you do the swap ?
If so what did you change? ie has it still got rev2 body loom and all changes made at fusebox and ecu
Yeah I did the swap, and yeah the rev 2 body loom is still in place

Return to “MK2”