Topic author
Synz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

AEM Fuel Pump - Read before installing.

Post by Synz »

Hi all,

If anyone has followed my build you my remember I fitted a AEM 340lph in tank fuel pump back in 2021, I picked this over the Walbro duo to it being a lot quieter in the cabin. For nearly 2 years the car has all been fine until around 12 months ago when I started to get a boost cut, I checked what I could but wasn't sure what was causing it so I turned the boost right down and drove steady while I had time to investigate. Having done less than 100 miles since last year I made the decision to head to MR2 Nationals on Sunday 2nd June, probably the wrong decision since I broke down in the carpark as I was leaving and had to get recovered. Every cloud has a silver lining though as when I got the car back to Simon at YVS we checked it all over and narrowed the issue down to the fuel pump, weirdly we could hear it running but wasn't getting the pressure we should have been so out comes the fuel tank. To our surprise the cause of the breakdown and the boost cut was a 2 inch piece of fuel pipe that had split inside the fuel tank.

This small pipe is provided with the AEM kit but having spoken to a couple of people online since who have also had failures of this pipe it's clearly not up to the job.

The fuel pump itself is absolutely flawless, very quieted for a high flow pump and I can't recommend it enough but please if you do go for this, replace that pipe with standard Toyota or something more substantial before installing it. Before anyone asks I only use either V-Power or Synergy Supreme+ 99 so it's not corroded due to high ethanol fuel.
Nationals.JPG
Nationals.JPG (72.55 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Breakdown.JPG
Fuel tank out.JPG
Fuel tank out.JPG (95.1 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Fuel tank.JPG
Fuel tank.JPG (160.25 KiB) Viewed 297 times
split pipe.JPG
split pipe.JPG (65.05 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Fuel pump.jpg
Fuel pump.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 297 times

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: AEM Fuel Pump - Read before installing.

Post by jimi »

Good info to have available may save someone having to drop their tank again, not a nice job :no:
Thanks for posting it, I'll probably add it to KY2 as well :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”