Oil Problem

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
chezza30

Oil Problem

Post by chezza30 »

Hi guys,

Recently my MR2 (MK3) has started losing a lot of oil. It's going through 4 litres of oil every 1000 miles. I can't see any black smoke (signs of oil burning) or any signs of the oil leaking on the ground. Anyone know where the oil is going?

Any help would be good. I have a feeling my engines on the way out! :(

Topic author
Nik da Greek

Re: Oil Problem

Post by Nik da Greek »

Jesus, that's a lot of oil to be losing! :confused1: Can't believe with that amount that there's no obvious cause. If it were burning that much, you'd definitely see the smoke, I'd have thought, so it must be leaking somewhere, surely?

Tsunami
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Tsunami »

It's possible that the cam cover gasket has gone, mine gets through loads of oil on long journeys, but hardly any at all on short runs.
Pretty sure that in my case it is that gasket, might be the same for you.
We have nothing to fear except politicians themselves

Topic author
chezza30

Post by chezza30 »

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the gasket and see if it's something to do with that. I've checked the drive for oil leakage and nothing - no black smoke either... It's puzzling me!:S

Tsunami
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Tsunami »

It is strange. On mine, it comes out of that gasket, and goes all down the back of the engine, but I think the heat from the engine makes it congeal there or something, as it doesn't drip or anything.
I have had a couple of goes at changing the gasket, but when I try to do it, the new gasket gets damaged when I put it in. There is just not enough room to fit the cam cover between the cams and the plastic box containing the wires for the injectors, and i can't work out how to remove the box :sad:
We have nothing to fear except politicians themselves

vanilla.coffee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 39
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by vanilla.coffee »

Sounds common MK3 issue.
My guess, your pre cats have started to break up. When your engine management activates EGR your bits of cat have been sucked back into your engine... past the rings... scoring the cylinder walls and its only a matter of time before your engine lets go I would venture to suggest.

Sorry to deliver bad news but this is a common 1ZZ engine problem.
They'll take the internet off us if people keep doing this.

Topic author
LukaHarris

Post by LukaHarris »

hmmm sounds bad, if thats the case then take it to a garage and get them to do a 4 gas test. should see the burnt oil then

Topic author
FGRob

Post by FGRob »

chezza30 wrote:Hi guys,

Recently my MR2 (MK3) has started losing a lot of oil. It's going through 4 litres of oil every 1000 miles. I can't see any black smoke (signs of oil burning) or any signs of the oil leaking on the ground. Anyone know where the oil is going?

Any help would be good. I have a feeling my engines on the way out! :(
As said by others your engine is pretty much knackered, you have oval bore problem which can lead to the pre-cats failing and eventully big end failure.

If the car is less than 7 years old you are covered by Toyota warranty, providing you have a service history and they will replace the engine with a recon short block plus cat etc, you will need to push to get the cat re-newed as this is often over looked ;)

If you car is older than it's down to you, you can pick-up recon engines from ebay or contact GTchris who does break Roadster, cost for the good engine is going to be between £700 and £1000, try and go for a 03 and newer if possible as they have the modified piston rings which help reduce this problem.

Good luck

Rob

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”