advise on leaking coolant please.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
luke m

advise on leaking coolant please.

Post by luke m »

Picked up the rev 4 n/a yesterday. All was ok.

Driving it about its fine, temp dosent go above half ever but if I drive it a little bit hard, then pull over I get some coolant leaking from the overflow,I can see coolant in the overflow bottle and also there is no pressure in the coolant hoses atall.

So I'm unsure if it's just because there is too much in the overflow that when the cap opens there's nowhere for the coolant to expand to so it come out of if it could be a HG. But surely headgasket would pressure up the hoses? Also there's no coolant to oil mix.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: advise on leaking coolant please.

Post by peteV6R5 »

when it cools how much do you need to top it up?
the coolant bottle is an expansion tank so if full it will overflow
the coolant bottle should only be about 1 third full
the hoses should feel pressurized to about 0.9bar as that is the rating of the pressure cap.
most pressure caps are old and have lost their pressure rating so could do with replacing.

after all of the above it could be HG
but doubt it from what you have put so far
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
luke m

Post by luke m »

I topped it up one after it leaked a few times and it took about a mug of coolant. But this was when it had cooled and I could see the coolant in the expansion tank and it was up to the base of the bottle neck.

Didn't think that was right.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

luke m wrote:I topped it up one after it leaked a few times and it took about a mug of coolant. But this was when it had cooled and I could see the coolant in the expansion tank and it was up to the base of the bottle neck.

Didn't think that was right.
- 1st things 1st are you "topping up" the expansion bottle or the system under the pressure cap?
You should not be able to see the coolant in the expansion tank it should just about show on the down tube (marked on it) that goes into it.
the system under the pressure cap will take about 100ml if the pressure cap does not do its job properly.
What is supposed to happen is - system heats up - coolant expands - if it goes over 0.9 bar then it expands into the expansion tank. When you stop and it starts to cool - the coolant contracts it is then supposed to pull coolant back from the expansion tank to refill the void. This does not happen in most cases and leaves you with about 100ml where the coolant has reduced in volume but air has passed the pressure cap not the coolant from the expansion tank.
pressure cap here
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
luke m

Post by luke m »

It is indeed where I top it up. I think the cap isn't working because I just got Home now, popped the bonnet and there was no pressure atall in the top hose.

Had to keep ontop of all pressure cap business with my hilux surf.

I'll just have to keep letting it leak out the expansion tank until it finds its level. Going to get a new pressure cap today. I think the chap I bought it off must have brimmed the expansion tank as he was a bit clueless.

Return to “MK2”